Sunday, July 20, 2014

Debt is normal, right??

Back in November 2013, I ordered the DebtBuster System that comes free to all Advocare distributors. I knew I had come into our marriage with more than my share of debt and often joked that the only thing Barry would get if I died was a steep bill from Sallie Mae.
Eff you Sallie Mae!
Our culture is accustomed to debt. Debt is "normal".  Student loans, car loans, credit cards, etc are all apart of what most Americans deal with on a daily basis.
 I was "normal."
 
Bad decision #1: Relying on student loans
I went to a great four year college (BOILER UP!) and never thought twice about the loans I was taking out each semester to pay for my classes, books, rent, and weekend shenanigans. Yeah, I did work, but not with the intention of putting that money towards school.
(How else would I afford Mellow Mushroom Pizza on a Sunday evening?)
Crime: $30,000 in student loan debt
A new article argues that the real scandal with college affordability isn’t student loan interest rates, but the ever-increasing costs that have little to do with the core competency of learning (such as mega gyms, performing arts centers, dining halls with sushi chefs).
Bad decision #2: Taking out ANOTHER loan
Now that I had worked so hard to graduate from Purdue, my $30,000 worth of student loan debt and I moved to North Carolina where I landed my first "big girl job." Since I had no money, I took out another $5,000 loan (this time private- yay 9% interest!) to move and live stress-free down in Raleigh with my college roommate, Sara.
Crime: $9,000 in repayment
 
Bad decision #3: Getting a credit card
When I moved to Raleigh, I went to the local bank and set up a checking and savings account. As I was nearly out the door, the lady helping me asked, "Would you like a credit card with your account? It's free and you automatically qualify!" My initial thought was, " Well, I don't NEED a credit card, but I could start building up my credit this way. Plus, I have a year to pay everything off."
My response, "SURE!!"
Crime: $3,000-$5,000 in repayment and LOTS of stress
Follow this expert advice to erase your credit card debt.
It truly wasn't until I met my husband that I started looking at money differently. I never had long term goals because I was constantly fighting my way out of every bad financial decision I had just made. We are fighting out way out of debt and are so proud to say that we have paid off $30,000 worth of debt in only 8 months!
 
We still have a way to go, but are working everyday at making smarter financial decisions for our future.
What bad financial decisions did you make in your 20's?
What advice would you give to a young adult about their financial future?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment