Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Third times a charm, right?

Third times a charm, right?
That's a saying that I have heard for years, but this month I pray it is true as we prepare for our 3rd IUI. This month is different than the last 2 times.
It's more doctor visits, blood draws, ultrasounds, shots...and of course, more money. 
We joke that our future child(ren) will be born already in debt and will have to start at a young age to work this debt off. We might not be joking if we have to endure more expensive treatments in the coming months!
Fill the Bank: Ways to Raise Money for Fertility Treatments #ivf #fundraising #budget #infertility

We went in on Wednesday, August 27th for a baseline ultrasound and to learn how to administer the shots will be doing this cycle. Anyone who knows me knows I pass out with around blood and needles, which is why going to the infertility doctor isn't one of my hobbies. I surprisingly did really good when the nurse explained everything to us and about 20 minutes and a couple thousand dollars later we were out the door!
(Thanks Indiana insurance for not covering fertility treatments!)

You know you married the right man when he gladly accepts the job of fertility med administrator.

On Friday, August 29th, our meds arrived! My amazing neighbor, Robin, was so sweet to wait for them to arrive and put them in the refrigerator right away. I mentioned to her that she is basically babysitting our first born child so take extra care (LOL)
When we got everything out, it looked like this. 
Scary right?

Follistim Injections... Finally something I respond too!!
Monday, September 1st, was our first injection. It has to be a good sign that it was LABOR Day, right?! After we had dinner and I had stalled enough, we got everything out and ready. I just wanted it done before I made it a bigger deal that it is (and I think Barry was in a hurry to finish his movie) and 5 seconds later and one, "Slow down!" It was over :) 

The medicine was straight out of the refrigerator and his nerves/excitement to poke me with a needle, caused him to push the medicine in super fast. Good news, it took about 1 second. Bad news, I may have yelled at him. (Sorry babe!)

 5 shots, 3 ultrasounds, and 2 blood draws later, we were scheduled for our IUI on Sunday, September 7th. Waking up a 7am to head to the fertility doctor wasn't super exciting for Barry and I, but we made the best of it. We were able to enjoy a quiet breakfast together at Le Peep in between appointments, which rarely happens. After the procedure, we went home and I relaxed for a couple hours as my amazing husband did ALL the laundry and made me lunch. 
And in IVF even a ten day wait feels this long!
 Now, we wait... a LONG two weeks before we know if we are finally starting our family after nearly two years of trying to conceive. Our hope is that this will be the final procedure we have to endure to achieve our first child. We would also like to avoid a reality TV show contract (Remember Jon and Kate Plus 8... yes, she did IUI with injectables!!)
All the thoughts, prayers, and kind words are very much appreciated! 
- Sarah 

[INFOGRAPHIC] - Amazing IUI Facts, Statistics, and Success Rates

1 comment: